Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Day Two

I guess I should consider that the first covenant we make is we must give ALL THAT WE HAVE or will have to building up the Kingdom. I often wonder what it means, "All that we have, or will have" to build up the Kingdom.


So, if we give all we have; time, talents, money, possessions, blessings, etc to build up the Kingdom, does that mean we use our time 100% of each day to build up the Kingdom? Do we strive to strengthen the wards and stakes where we live? Should we forget the things of this world to build up the Kingdom? Or are the things of this world part of the Kingdom? Is my job part of the Kingdom? When I use my money to go to a movie, am I forgetting to us that to build up the Kingdom? How do I build up the Kingdom? Should that be part of my thought process every day?


Or as I struggle to just get through each day without giving up, without screaming UNCLE, without killing someone, should I assume that I am building the Kingdom by NOT killing one of my employees or kids?


It is a challenge. What does that mean when I say I will build up the Kingdom? Is it easy or hard? Do I need to do more than I am doing?


A few years ago, the Brethren asked us to pray to open the nations to missionary work. If praying enough? Is desire enough? If our days are spent just barely coping with the trials we have, is that building the Kingdom? Should be do more? Can we do more?


That is a subject that is up for debate. My older sister said once that every minute I spend at work, I am building the Kingdom for I am doing what is necessary to build my family which isp art of the Kingdom. As I go to work each day, my wife says that I am building the Kingdom, through the hours at work do not involve preaching the gospel, nor saving a soul, at least as for as I can see.


Then, as we commit to build the Kingdom is that a commitment to do only as time allows, or as life permits, or as circumstances let me?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the feeling of this post, that we can all do more to build up the Kingdom.

    We're not required to give everything up yet (too bad, right? -- I mean how much easier would some things be if we could just turn it all over to the Church). In the temple we only covenant to be WILLING to give up all that we have. Not that we'll give it all up now, just that we will do so willingly when asked.

    ReplyDelete