Saturday, September 26, 2009

Day 8

Elder McConkie said that one of the three definitions of "the Kingdom" is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on earth in these days. When we agree to build up the Kingdom, I guess I would like to understand exactly what the Kingdom is, with reference to the Church we all belong to.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has been established for the last time through Joseph Smith. It is for the benefit of all the Saints of God, those currently within the church through baptism as well as those who are His "chosen" who "know" his voice. (those are whom the missionaries are seeking to find) I feel honored to be a part of His Kingdom. It will not fail. I can't help but be reminded of Brother Joseph who said that, "No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing..."

A few years ago in conference, one of the brethren stated that the Kingdom is like a train. It is moving forward at a high speed. Once in a while some of us members get off the train due to our misdeeds. The train goes forward with or without us. It is then our duty to get back on the train through repentance. I love the symbology of the train being a fast moving train.

So when we think about building up the Kingdom, I would propose that means that we work with those in our own boxcar rumbling along the train tracks of life. We strengthen the weary, the hands that hang down, the eyes that are wet with tears, those with sore knees who need a smile or a hug, those who mourn or secretly ache with heavy trials but while in church on Sunday, they reply that all is well.

Building the Kingdom, to me, just means that we seek out opportunities to serve, to give, to love, to cheer-up, to thank, to go beyond our comfort zone, to offer hope to those who are facing heavy trials, etc.

Building the Kingdom is just being a giving, loving, caring, compassionate person. It means that I need to quit worrying about my unclear future, my own trials, my own prison cell, my own "opportunities of growth" and lose myself in the service of others, helping them cope, learn, and grow. (it is amazing when I do so, my own trials are of such little importance, and I can cope easier with them...)

Since we are reminded of that continuously, I should take that to heart, learn to live by faith, forget my own challenging blessings, and always seek for someone to uplift.

I worked with a soul once who said that the main part of his early morning prayer was asking Father whom he could serve that day, even at the expense of his own plans. Then he told of stories, miracles, blessings, etc that he had received through the years.

I guess the lesson from this that I learn is that I should be more aware of others, more concerned how I can be an "angel" for someone else as the brethren spoke about in the last conference. It is a constant need, thus I have miles to go before I can rest, and by thus doing, I probably won't want to rest for I will be so involved with building the Kingdom I will make it a habit, not a seldom thought of event.

The Kingdom-Train moves forward at a fast pace. I want to be involved with this train. But it is totally up to me. What makes me joyous? What makes me happy? What fills me with Spirit? Do I feel Perfect Brightness of Hope? If not, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment